SOLIDWORKS and SW PDM System Requirements
These requirements apply to all SOLIDWORKS products except where noted. Use this information to ensure you are always working with a SOLIDWORKS-supported and optimized system for hardware, operating system and Microsoft products.
SOLIDWORKS Products for Windows
|Windows 10, 64-bit|
|Windows 8.1, 64-bit|
|Windows 7 SP1, 64-bit||
(End of life: SW2020 SP5)
|Virtual environments||Supported virtual environments (hypervisors)|
|Processor||3.3 GHz or higher|
|RAM||16 GB or more
PDM Contributor or Viewer: 8 GB or more
PDM Web Client or Web Server: 8 GB or more
ECC RAM recommended
|Graphics Card||Certified cards and drivers|
|Drives||SSD drives recommended for optimal performance|
|Disk Space||PDM Contributor or Viewer: 10 GB or more
PDM Web Client or Web Server: 5 GB or more
PDM Archive Server or Database Server: 50 GB or more
SOLIDWORKS Manage: 10 GB or more
|Microsoft Excel and Word||2010, 2013, 2016||2010, 2013, 2016||2013, 2016,
2019 (SW2019 SP2)
|Browsers (PDM Web2 Client)||Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge,
Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari
eDrawings for Mac
|macOS Mojave (10.14)|
|macOS High Sierra (10.13)|
|macOS Sierra (10.12)|
|OS X El Capitan (10.11)|
|OS X Yosemite (10.10)|
SOLIDWORKS Server Products
|Windows Server 2016||
|Windows Server 2012 R2|
|Windows Server 2012|
|Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1|
Microsoft Products (SOLIDWORKS 2017 - 2019)
|Microsoft Products||Start of Life||End of Life 1|
|Windows 10, 64-bit||2015 SP5||Active|
|Windows 8.1, 64-bit||2014 SP1||2018 SP5|
|Windows 7, 64-bit||2010 SP1||2020 SP5|
|Windows Server 2016||2017 SP2||Active|
|Windows Server 2012 R2||2014 SP3||2019 SP5|
|Windows Server 2012||2014 SP0||2018 SP5|
|Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1||2009||2017 SP5|
|SQL Server 2017||2018 SP0||Active|
|SQL Server 2016||2017 SP0||Active|
|SQL Server 2014||2015 SP0||2021 SP5|
|SQL Server 2012||2013 SP2||2019 SP5|
|SQL Server 2008 R2||2010 SP4||2017 SP5|
|IE 11||2014 SP3||Active|
|Excel, Word 2019 (64-bit recommended)||2019 SP2||Active|
|Excel, Word 2016 (64-bit recommended)||2016 SP3||Active|
|Excel, Word 2013||2013 SP4||2020 SP5|
|Excel, Word 2010||2010 SP5||2018 SP5|
- End Of Life (EOL) corresponds to the last SOLIDWORKS release where a Microsoft product is supported (This is synchronized with the Microsoft Mainstream Support End Date). SOLIDWORKS releases after the EOL are not supported for the said Microsoft product and SOLIDWORKS installation is blocked in the case of an operating system.
- SOLIDWORKS Product Support Lifecycle defines the End Of Support for SOLIDWORKS versions.
- SolidWorks recommends using the latest Microsoft Service Pack of Windows, Office and Internet Explorer.
- SolidWorks supports each Windows 10 release for applicable SOLIDWORKS releases as long as it is still covered by both the SOLIDWORKS Product Support Lifecycle and Microsoft Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet.
- SolidWorks recommends using a Windows Server operating system for all SOLIDWORKS server-based products.
- Windows Server operating system support applies to Standard and Enterprise editions only.
- Windows Home Editions and Windows To Go are not supported.
- Microsoft Office 'Click-To-Run' feature is supported for SOLIDWORKS 2017 and later.
- Apple Mac ® based machines running Windows using Boot Camp are not supported.
- SOLIDWORKS 2018 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 requires the Microsoft April 2014 update
- It is not recommended to install any instances of other applications on the SOLIDWORKS PDM Archive or Database Server. For PDM Professional, it is recommended the Archive and Database servers are two separate, dedicated machines.
- To ensure optimum performance, it is not recommended to install anti-virus software on the SOLIDWORKS PDM vault computer.
- SolidWorks does not test or certify VPN (Virtual Private Network) solutions but provides best-effort support. Users may be directed to work directly with their VPN provider to resolve issues on a case-by-case basis.
- Beginning with SOLIDWORKS 2020, DVD distribution media will only be provided on request. Please contact your Reseller.
Research graphics cards, computer specs and system requirements for SOLIDWORKS products, and other hardware related topics.
Find and download graphics card drivers for your system to ensure system performance and stability.
Are you upgrading to a new computer, or need to know if SOLIDWORKS products will run on a computer you already have? Here's where you can find out.
System hardware and operating system requirements for SOLIDWORKS Product Data Management (PDM) products.
System hardware and operating system requirements for 3DVIA Composer, 3DVIA Sync, 3DVIA Enterprise Sync, 3DVIA Composer Player, and 3DVIA Composer Player Pro.
The following Anti-Virus (AV) applications have been tested (install and usage) with SOLIDWORKS.
Applications and reference sites that can be used to help determine the overall performance of different hardware configurations.